First name origins & meanings:
- German: Mountain dweller
- Old English: Free citizen; shopkeeper
First name variations: Bergan, Bergin, Burg, Bergess, Birgess, Burges, Burgiss, Byrgess, Burgess
Last name origins & meanings:
- Dutch: topographic name for someone who lived on or by a hill,
or a habitational name from any of various places named with this
- German: inflected variant of Berg (originally after a
preposition, as in an or zu Bergen).
- Swedish: variant of Berg.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): habitational name from any of the various German places called Bergen.
Famous people with this first name:
Comments for Bergen