First name origins & meanings:
- Greek: Bringer of victory
- Irish: Spear thrower
- Welsh: Son of Harry
First name variations: Berenice, Bunny, Berta, Berti, Bernica, Bernise, Bernyc, Bernyce, Bernyse, Bernicia, Bernice, Barrie, Barris, Barie, Barrymore, Bari, Barry
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish (Galway and Mayo): Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó
Béara or Ó Beargha (see Barry 1).
- Scottish and northern Irish: variant spelling of Barrie.
- English: habitational name from any of several places named
with Old English byrig, dative case of burh ‘fortified
manor house’, ‘stronghold’, such as Berry in Devon or Bury in
Cambridgeshire, Greater Manchester, Suffolk, and West
- French: regional name for someone from Berry, a former
province of central France, so named with Latin Boiriacum,
apparently a derivative of a Gaulish personal name, Boirius or
Barius. In North America, this name has alternated with
- Swiss German: pet form of a Germanic personal name
formed with Old High German bero ‘bear’ (see Baer).
Famous people with this first name:
Famous people who gave their babies this name:
Comments for Berry