First name origin & meaning:
Native American: Tall child
First name variations: Blis, Blisa, Blisasa, Blisse, Bliss, Blithe, Bligh, Bliss, Bali, Baline, Balyn, Baylen, Baylin, Baylon, Valin, Balin
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: variant spelling of Bligh.
- German: variant of Blei, Bley, a metonymic occupational name for
a lead miner or lead worker, from Middle High German blī
- Dutch: nickname for a cheerful, happy man, Dutch
- Swedish: possibly German in origin (see 2
above) or a soldier’s name.
- Americanized form of a Norwegian
habitational name from a farmstead in Hardanger named Bleie, from a
river name from Old Norse bleikr ‘gray’, ‘pale’ + vin
Comments for Blys