First name origins & meanings:
- Irish: Swift
- English: Son of a nobleman
First name variations: Bryce, Bristol, Brixey, Brixie, Brice
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Bruic ‘descendant
of Broc’, i.e. ‘Badger’ (sometimes so translated) or Ó
Bric ‘descendant of Breac’, a personal name meaning
- English: possibly, as Reaney suggests, a
nickname from Old English br̄ce ‘fragile’, ‘worthless’.
- German: topographic name for someone who lived in a swampy
wood, brick, breck ‘swamp’, ‘wood’.
(Ashkenazic): from Yiddish brik ‘bridge’, probably a
- Altered spelling of German Brück
- In some cases it may be an altered
spelling of Slovenian Bric, regional name for someone from the
hilly region of western Slovenia called Brda, a plural form of
brdo ‘rising ground’.
Comments for Brick