First name origin & meaning:
Old English: Free citizen; shopkeeper
First name variations: Bergess, Bergen, Birgess, Burges, Burgiss, Byrgess, Burgess
Last name origins & meanings:
- German (also Bürg): topographic name, from Middle
High German burc ‘fortification’, ‘castle’, or a habitational
name from any of the numerous places called Burg.
- German: from a
short form of the personal name Burkhard (see
- Dutch: short form of Vanderburg.
- Dutch: from a short form of the Germanic personal name
- Jewish: variant of Burger.
- Probably in some cases an altered spelling of Burgh.
Comments for Burg