First name origin & meaning:
Latin: Horned goat; constellation of the Zodiac
First name variations: Capricornus
Last name origins & meanings:
- Ukrainian, Jewish (from Ukraine), Polish, Serbian, and
Hungarian (Cáp): from Ukrainian tsap ‘billy goat’,
Polish cap, and so probably a nickname for someone thought to
resemble the animal in some way or perhaps a metonymic occupational
name for a goat herd.
- Czech (Čáp): nickname for a tall or long-legged man, from čáp
- Southern French: from Occitan cap ‘head’ (Latin
caput); probably a nickname for a person with something
distinctive about his head. The word was often used in the
metaphorical sense ‘chief’, ‘principal’, and the surname may also have
denoted a leader or a village elder. In some cases it may also be a
topographic name from the same word used in the sense of a promontory
- Americanized spelling of German Kapp.
- English: variant spelling of Capp.
Comments for Cap