First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: Dear
- Irish: Pure
- Spanish: Dear
- Welsh: Near the castle
- Irish: Dark ones; near the castle
First name variations: Cari, Carie, Cary, Carry, Carrey, Carrie, Kerry, Kerrie, Cary, Carrey
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish: Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Ciardha, a midland
family name meaning ‘descendant of Ciardha’, a personal name
derived from ciar ‘dark’, ‘black’.
- Irish: Anglicized form
of Gaelic Mac Fhiachra ‘son of Fiachra’.
- English: habitational name from Carey in Devon or Cary in
Somerset, named for the rivers on which they stand; both river names
probably derive from the Celtic root car- ‘love’, ‘liking’,
perhaps with the meaning ‘pleasant stream’.
- English (of
Norman origin): habitational name from the manor of Carrey, near
Lisieux, Normandy, France, of uncertain origin.
- Welsh and Cornish: variant of Carew.
- Possibly an Americanized form of German
Gehrig or Gehring.
Famous people with this first name:
Comments for Carey