First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: Strong one
- Old German: Freeholder; Feminine form of Carl
First name variations: Carlah, Carlana, Carlee, Carleen, Carleigh, Carlena, Carlene, Carletta, Carlette, Carley, Carlia, Carleigh, Carlina, Carlisa, Carlita, Carlla, Carlyn, Karlla, Karla, Karlie, Karly, Karleen, Carilla, Carla
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish (now also common in Scotland): Anglicized form of Gaelic
Ó Cairealláin, an Ulster family name, also sometimes
Anglicized as Carlton, meaning ‘descendant of
Caireallán’, a diminutive of the personal name
- French: from a pet form of
- Swedish: probably a habitational name from any of
various places named with Karl- or from the personal name +
-in, a common suffix of Swedish family names (originally Latin
-inus ‘descendant of’).
- Italian (Venice): from a pet
form of the personal name Carlo, Italian form of
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): Americanized
spelling of Karlin.
- German: habitational name from
Carlin in Brandenburg.
Comments for Carlin