First name origins & meanings:
- Greek: Fine wine lover
- Old English: From the oak valley
First name variations: Denis, Dennison, Denniston, Denzel, Denzil, Denzell, Denit, Dennet, Dennett, Dennit, Dion, Tennis, Tennyson, Dennis, Oggie, Den, Ogden
Last name origins & meanings:
- Scottish and English: from a pet form of Dennis.
- English: habitational name from a place in Cambridgeshire, most
probably named with Old English Dene ‘Dane’ + ēg
- Scottish: habitational name from Denny in Stirlingshire.
- Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Duibhne (see
- Irish (Cork): less frequently, a reduced
Anglicization of Gaelic Ó Duineachdha (see Dennehy).
Comments for Dennys