First name origins & meanings:
- Greek: Daughter of heaven
- African American: God of wine and revelry
- Greek: Short form of Dennis
- Greek: Fine wine lover
- Greek: Celebration
- Mythology: God of wine
First name variations: Dyon, Dyonne, Deonia, Deonyia, Dyona, Dyonah, Deonne, Deonee, Dyone, Dyonee, Dyoney, Dyoni, Dyonie, Dyony, Deione, Deionte, Deionta, Deion, Denis, Dennys, Dennison, Denniston, Denzel, Denzil, Denzell, Denit, Dennet, Dennett, Dennit, Denny, Tennis, Tennyson, Dennis, Dyonisius, Dyonisus
Last name origins & meanings:
- French: habitational name from any of various places called Dion(s)
and Dionne, all apparently derived from a Gaulish element
divon- ‘(sacred) spring’. Compare Dee 3.
- The earliest Dion on record in North America, from La Rochelle,
France, was married in Quebec city in 1672. The name is sometimes
rendered in English as <xref>Young</xref>.
Famous people with this first name: