First name origins & meanings:
- Old French: Out of the woods
- Old French: Forest keeper
First name variations: Forest, Forestt, Forrestt, Forrester, Foryst, Forrest, Foster
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: occupational and topographic name for someone who
lived or worked in a forest (see Forrest).
- English: Norman
French nickname or occupational name from Old French forcetier
‘cutter’, an agent noun from forcettes ‘scissors’.
- English: occupational name, by metathesis, from Old French fust(r)ier
‘blockmaker’ (a derivative of fustre ‘block of wood’).
- German (Förster): occupational and topographic name for
someone who lived and worked in a forest (see Forst).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): ornamental name from German Forst
Comments for Forster