First name origin & meaning:
First name variations: Gearey, Gery, Gearee, Geari
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish: reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Gadhra
‘descendant of Gadhra’ (see O’Gara). See also McGeary.
- English: from a personal name derived from Germanic
gēr, gār ‘spear’, a short form of any of various
compound names with this as a first element (see, for example
- English: nickname for a wayward or capricious
person, from Middle English ge(a)ry ‘fickle’, ‘changeable’,
‘passionate’ (a derivative of gere ‘fit of passion’, apparently
a Scandinavian borrowing).
- Possibly an altered spelling of
German Gehring or Gehrig.
- Most present-day Irish bearers of the name Geary and its variants
and derivatives are descended from a single 10th-century ancestor, a
nephew of Eadhra, who founded the family <xref>O’Hara</xref> in
Connacht. The family is now spread more widely.
Comments for McGeary