First name origins & meanings:
- Old English: Crooked coastline
- French: Harness maker
First name variations: Gowell, Gowar
Last name origins & meanings:
- English (of Norman origin): regional name for someone from the
district north of Paris known in Old French as Gohiere.
- English (of Norman origin): habitational name from any of the
various places in northern France called Gouy (from the Gallo-Roman
personal name Gaudius + the locative suffix -acum), with
the addition of the Anglo-Norman French suffix -er.
- English: from a Norman personal name, Go(h)ier, cognate
with the Old English name mentioned at Gooder.
- Welsh: from
the peninsula in southern Wales, of which the Welsh name is
- Probably an Americanized spelling of German
Comments for Gower