First name origin & meaning:
First name variations: Hagan, Hogan, Hazen, Havis, Haven
Last name origins & meanings:
- North German and Dutch: topographic name from Middle Low German
hage(n), Middle Dutch haghe ‘enclosure’,
- German, Dutch, and Danish: from a Germanic personal name,
a short form of the various compound names formed with hag
‘enclosure’, ‘protected place’ as the first element.
- German: nickname from Middle High German hagen ‘breeding bull’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): of uncertain origin; perhaps the same as 1.
- English: from an Old Scandinavian or continental Germanic
personal name Hǫgni ‘protector’, ‘patron’ (Old Norse),
Haghni (Old Danish), Hagano (Old Germanic).
- Norwegian: habitational name from any of numerous farmsteads so
named, from the definite singular form of hage, from Old Norse
- Swedish: ornamental or topographic
name from the definite singular form of hage ‘enclosed
Comments for Gruenhagen