First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew: God is gracious; a feminine version of John
- Hebrew: God is gracious; form of Jane
First name variations: Jayne, Jain, Jan, Janie, Jannie, Janet, Janot, Janeth, Janina, Janice, Janyce, Janith, Janna, Jina, Joan, Joanna, Jo Ann, Johanna, Joann, Joanne, Jovanna, Joni, Janey, Gianina, Giovanna, Juana, Juanita, Sinead, Shena, Sheena, Sine, Seonaid, Jane, Janesey, Janess, Janesse, Janese
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: perhaps a variant spelling of Janice.
- French: unexplained.
- Latvian: from the first name Jānis, Latvian form of John.
- A Janis from the Champagne region of France is documented in 1704
in Trois Rivières, Quebec, with the secondary surname