First name origin & meaning:
Hebrew: Stalk, reed
First name variations: Kani, Kanny, Kaniel
Last name origins & meanings:
- Chinese: spelling variant of Jian.
- Chinese: from the name of a place called Kan which
existed during the Spring and Autumn period (722–481 bc) in
the state of Lu, in present-day Shandong province. Some residents
adopted the place name as their surname.
- Chinese: variant of Gan 1.
(Káň): from kanit meaning ‘to slobber or slaver’
and by extension ‘to gossip’, hence a nickname for a
- Czech: nickname from káně ‘buzzard’.
- German: derivative of the personal name Konrad.
(Ashkenazic): one of the many forms of Cohen.
- Dutch: from
Middle Dutch kan(ne), can(ne) ‘tankard’, ‘flagon’,
‘pitcher’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a maker of such
vessels: a potter or a pewterer.
- Reduced form of Dutch van de
Kan: habitational name for someone from De Kan in Veurne or a
place called Kanne.
Comments for Kan