First name origin & meaning:
German: Man; Carl's town
First name variations: Karlen, Karlens, Karl
Last name origins & meanings:
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): habitational name for someone from
Karlin, a suburb of Pinsk in Belarus, in which the Jews formed the
majority of the population until the Holocaust. A well-known Hasidic
sect originated in Karlin and at one time it attracted so many
followers that a (now obsolete) Russian word for ‘Hasid’ was
Karliner (of Yiddish origin). It is possible that at least some
people taking this surname did so because they were members of this
sect and not because they were born or lived in Karlin.
- German (also Kärlin) and Southern Slavic: from the
personal name Karl (Slavic Karlo). See also
- Swedish: variant spelling of Carlin.
- Western Slavic: habitational name from places in Poland and
- Altered spelling of Russian Karélin, ethnic
name for someone from Karelia (see Karjala).
spelling of German Gerling.
Comments for Karlin