First name origin & meaning:
Greek: Violet flower, modest
First name variations: Iantha, Ianthia, Ianthina, Iolanthe, Iolande, Ianthya, Ianthyah, Ianthyna, Ianthe, Joland, Jolande, Jolander, Jolanka, Jolánta, Jolante, Jolantha, Jolanthe, Jolanta, Orlie, Rolande, Rollande, Rolonda, Rolande, Yolande, Yolantha, Iolanthe, Iolande, Eolande, Jolaunda, Jo, Yo, Landen, Landyn, Landun, Landon, Orly, Lando, Orlando
Last name origins & meanings:
- Norwegian: habitational name from any of several farmsteads in
southwestern Norway, so named from the plural of land (see
- Czech: from a short form of the personal name
Mikulanda, a derivative of Mikuláš, Czech form of
Greek Nikolaos (see Nicholas).
- Polish: nickname for a persistent and irritating person, from a derivative of
the dialect verb landzić ‘to ask insistently’, ‘badger
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): variant of
- Spanish and Basque: topographic name from the
Basque landa ‘meadow’. There is a place of this name in
Álava province, Basque Country, and the surname may in fact be a
habitational name from this place.