First name origins & meanings:
- Greek: Lion
- German: Lion-hearted
- Italian: Fierce one from Naples
- African American: Lion in a new city
First name variations: Lennard, Lenard, Lennart, Leonardo, Leonhard, Leo, Lennie, Lenny, Len, Lénárd, Leonárd, Leó, Leonard, Leo, Leone, Leonidas, Leosko, Leonato, Nappie, Nappy, Nap, Leo, Napoleon
Last name origins & meanings:
- Spanish (León): habitational name from León, a
city in northwestern Spain, named with Latin legio, genitive
legionis ‘legion’, a division of the Roman army. In Roman times
the city was the garrison of the 7th Legion, known as the Legio
Gemina. The city’s name became reduced from Legion(em) to
Leon(em), and in this form developed an unetymological
association with the word for ‘lion’, Spanish león.
- Spanish: from the personal name León, from Greek
leōn ‘lion’ (see Lyon 2). Leon is also found
as a Greek family name.
- Spanish: nickname for a fierce or
brave warrior, from león ‘lion’.
(Léon) and English: variant of Lyon.
Comments for Leon