First name origins & meanings:
- Chinese: Beautiful; jade
- English: Verbose; waterfall
First name variations: Lynn, Lin, Lyn, Lin, Lynne, Lynn
Last name origins & meanings:
- Scottish: variant spelling of Lynn.
- Irish: reduced
and altered form of McLean. Compare McLinn.
- German: habitational name from a place called Linn, named with lin
‘swamp’, ‘bog’, ‘marsh’.
- German: from a Germanic personal
name, Linto, formed with Old High German lind(i)
- Eastern German and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): from
Slavic lin ‘tench’, a metonymic occupational name for someone
who caught and sold tench or a nickname for someone thought to
resemble a tench.
Comments for Linn