First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: A flower
- Scandinavian: Consecrated to God
- English: Consecrated to God; variation of Elizabeth
- Greek: Bee; honey bee
First name variations: Lilian, Lily Ann, Lilian, Lilianne, Liliana, Lilias, Lilly, Lili, Lillie, Lilia, Lil, Lizzy, Lizzi, Melicent, Mellissa, Millicent, Melisent, Melita, Melisse, Meli, Mellie, Melly, Mel, Millie, Milly, Missy, Lisa, Lissa, Lily, Liz, Melissa
Last name origins & meanings:
- Polish, Czech, and Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): from Polish and
Czech dialect lis ‘fox’, a nickname for a cunning person or, in
the case of the Jewish name, an ornamental name.
- Czech: nickname for a man with a bald pate, from a variant of
Czech lysý ‘bald’.
- Dutch: metronymic from a short
form of the personal female names Alice or Elisabeth
- Dutch (van Lis): habitational name from
Lixhe in Belgium or Lieze in the Netherlands.
- French: perhaps a
habitational name for someone who lived at a house distinguished by
the sign of a lily, Old French lis.
Comments for Lis