First name origin & meaning:
First name variations: Mainess, Mane, Maness
Last name origins & meanings:
- Scottish: from a reduced form of the Scandinavian personal name
- Scottish: topographic name for a farmer who farmed
the main farm on an estate.
- Scottish, English (of Norman origin),
and French: from the Continental Germanic personal name Maino,
Meino, a short form of the various compound names with a first
element magin ‘strength’, ‘might’.
- Scottish and English (of
Norman origin): regional name for someone from the French province of
Maine. Compare Mansell 1.
- Scottish and English (of Norman
origin): nickname for a large man, from Anglo-Norman French
magne, maine ‘big’.
- Scottish, English (of Norman
origin), and French: nickname for someone with a deformed or missing
hand, from Old French main ‘hand’ (Latin manus).
Comments for Main