First name origin & meaning:
Old English: Son of the hero
First name variations: Mann, Manning
Last name origins & meanings:
- Chinese: variant of Wen 2.
- Chinese: from a character in the personal name of Hu Gongman, a
retainer of Wu Wang. After the latter established the Zhou dynasty in
1122 bc, he granted the state of Chen to Hu Gongman, whose
descendants adopted the second character of his given name, Man, as
their surname. This character also means ‘Manchurian’, but the name
does not appear to be related to this meaning.
- Chinese: variant of Wen 3.
variant of Wan 1.
- English and Jewish: variant
spelling of Mann.
- Dutch: from Middle Dutch man
‘man’, ‘husband’, ‘vassal’, ‘arbiter’.
- French: from the
Germanic personal name Manno (see Mann 2).
(Ashkenazic): from the personal name Man, derived from Yiddish
Comments for Man