First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: Sea; of the sea; bitter
- Latin, Russian: Sea maiden
- French: Ocean-loving
First name variations: Marren, Marrin, Maren, Marina, Marino, Maryn, Maren
Last name origins & meanings:
- Spanish (Marín), French, English, Slovenian,
Croatian, and Romanian: from the Latin personal name Marinus,
borne by several minor early saints. Originally this was a Roman
family name derived from Marius (compare Marie), but was
often taken to mean ‘of the sea’.
- Italian (Venetia): variant of
- Serbian, Croatian, and Slovenian: from the personal
name Marija or its short form Mara (see Maria).
- Galician and Spanish: habitational name from a place called
Marín, in particular the one in Pontevedra, Galicia.
- French: occupational name for a sailor, Old French marin (Late Latin
marinus, a derivative of mare ‘sea’).
- Asturian-Leonese (Marín): occupational
name for a sailor in Asturies.
Comments for Marin