First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: Bold warrior; Roman god of war
- English: Handsome
First name variations: Marr, Marsch, Marsey, Marsh
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: variant of Marsh.
- French: habitational name
from places so named in Ardèche, Ardennes, Gard, Loire, Nièvre,
and Meurthe-et-Moselle, from the Latin personal name Marcius,
- French: from the personal name
Meard, Mard, Mart, vernacular forms of the
saint’s name Médard. Morlet notes that there are a number of
places called Saint-Mars, formerly recorded in Latin as Sanctus
- French: from the name of the month, mars ‘
March’, denoting seed sown in March, and hence a metonymic name for an
- French (De Mars): habitational name
from Mars in the Ardennes.
- Dutch: from a short form of the
personal name Marsilius.
Comments for Mars