First name origins & meanings:
- English: Headman, mayor
- Hebrew: One who brightens
- Latin: Great
First name variations: Meyer, Meir, Meier, Mayr, Myer, Myerson, Mayer
Last name origins & meanings:
- English (Lancashire): variant spelling of Mayer
- Spanish and Jewish (Sephardic): nickname for an older man or a
distinguishing epithet for the elder of two bearers of the same
personal name, from Spanish mayor ‘older’ (Latin maior
(natus), literally ‘greater (by birth)’).
- Spanish and Jewish
(Sephardic): occupational or status name, from major
- Catalan: variant spelling of
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): variant of Meyer 2.
Comments for Sotomayor