First name origins & meanings:
- Korean: Cleverness; love; smooth; fine; small
- Arabic: A place near Makkah
- German: Love
- Persian: Sky blue
First name variations: Meena, Mena, Minah, Myna, Mynah, Mina
Last name origins & meanings:
- Korean: there is only one Chinese character used for the Min
surname. There is a legend that the Min clan’s founding ancestor,
Ch’ing-do, was a descendant of Ch’a kŏn, one of the ten disciples
of Confucius. Ch’ing-do, an emissary from China to the Koryŏ
kingdom, decided to stay and settled in the Yŏhŭng area. The
surname Min can be found throughout Korea, but it is particularly
concentrated in Chŏlla and Kyŏngsang provinces.
- Chinese: the source of this name was the character’s
former meaning, ‘sympathy for those who die young’. The descendants of
various people who died young adopted Min as their surname.
- Dutch: nickname from Middle Dutch minne ‘beloved’,
- Dutch: from a reduced form of the personal
name Dominicus (see Dominick).
Comments for Min