First name origins & meanings:
- French: Dark; dark-haired
- Irish: Bitter
- Spanish: Sweet berry
First name variations: May, Maura, Moira, Moreen, Moria, Moriah, Maurin, Maurine, Morena, Maurizia, Mo, Maureen
Last name origins & meanings:
- Portuguese, Spanish, and Catalan (Móra): habitational
name from any of the places named Mora, in some cases from mora
‘mulberry’ (Late Latin mora, originally the plural of classical
- Occitan and Catalan (Morà): from
Morandus, an old personal name of uncertain derivation and
- Italian: topographic name from Old Italian
mora ‘pile of stones’.
- Hungarian (Móra): from a pet form of the personal name Móricz, Hungarian form
- Czech and Polish: from a short form of a
personal name, e.g. Czech Mauric, Polish Maurycy,
derived from Latin Mauritius (see Morris).
- Polish: possibly a nickname from mora ‘sickness’, ‘plague’.
- Czech: possibly a nickname from mora ‘vampire’.
This name appears in the following lists:
Comments for Mora