First name origins & meanings:
- Welsh: Enchantress half-sister of Arthur; white sea; bright; dweller by the sea
- Irish: Lives by the sea
Last name origins & meanings:
- Welsh: from the Old Welsh personal name Morcant, which
is of uncertain but ancient etymology.
- Irish: importation of the Welsh surname, to which has been assimilated more
than one Gaelic surname, notably Ó Muireagáin (see
- Scottish: of uncertain origin; probably
from a Gaelic personal name cognate with Welsh Morcant.
- Morgan is one of the oldest and commonest of Welsh surnames, but
there is also a Scottish family called Morgan, established from
medieval times in Aberdeenshire, with connections with the McKays. The
Scottish name is probably not the result of Welsh migration, but was
established independently. Abel Morgan (1673–1722), a baptist clergyman, was born in Cardiganshire, South Wales, and emigrated to Philadelphia in 1712, establishing churches in PA, DE, and NJ.
Famous people with this first name:
Famous people who gave their babies this name:
Comments for Morgana