First name origin & meaning:
Irish: Nature-loving; yew tree
First name variations: Mari, Merry, Marie, Maria, Miriam, Marian, Mame, Mamie, Maymie, Mayme, May, Mally, Molly, Polly, Mara, Maretta, Marel, Marella, Maren, Marlo, Mariette, Marieta, Meriel, Mimi, Minette, Minnie, Minny, Mitzi, Madonna, Marilla, Marla, Marya, Muriel, Manon, Manette, Marija, Marika, Maire, Mare, Marquita, Maure, Mairin, Mair, Maura, Maureen, Moira, Moire, Muire, Masha, Mairi, Mariya, Mashia, Mash, Mariath, Mary, Maura, Maire, Mary, Moira, Muirne, Merna, Mirna, Moina, Morna, Myrna, Maio, Maioh, Mayes, Mayoh, Mays, Mayo, Mose, Moe, Mosya, Moey, Moss, Moshe, Moishe, Mosheh, Mosie, Moses
Last name origins & meanings:
- Irish (County Donegal): Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó
Muighe ‘descendant of Muighe’, of unexplained
etymology. The English surname (see 2) has also become established in
- English (Norfolk): unexplained. Compare Moy 1.
- French: habitational name from places so called
in Aisne and Saône-et-Loire, named in Latin as Modiacum
‘(estate) of Modius’ (see Moya 2).
- Norwegian: habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern
Norway named Moi, from Old Norse mói, the dative case of
mór ‘sandy plain’.
- Chinese: possibly a variant
spelling of Mei 1.