First name origins & meanings:
- Latin: Horn; feminine form of Cornelius
- Greek: Mercy
- English: By the alder tree
- Irish: Champion
- Greek: Stone
- English: Short for Nelson; singing
First name variations: Cornell, Cornel, Cornalia, Corneelija, Cornela, Cornelija, Cornelya, Corelie, Cornella, Cornelle, Cornie, Korneelia, Korneelya, Kornelia, Kornelija, Kornelya, Neel, Neely, Nela, Nelia, Nella, Nellie, Nelly, Neal, Cornelia, Eleanore, Eleanora, Elinor, Elinore, Ellie, Leonore, Leonora, Eliana, Elana, Elanor, Elanore, Elenor, Elenore, Eleonor, Elianore, Ellenor, Ellinor, Ellinore, Elynor, Elanie, Eleanor, Neldah, Nellda, Nellie, Nelda, Nelle, Nellee, Nelli, Nells, Nelly, Nellie
Last name origins & meanings:
- Dutch and German: from the personal name Nel, a reduced form of Cornelius.
- South German: nickname from Middle High German nelle ‘crown of the head’, perhaps denoting an obstinate person.
- English: from the Middle English personal name Nel(le), a variant of Neill.
Famous people who gave their babies this name: