First name origins & meanings:
- Old English: From the north
- English: Northern town
First name variations: Nort, Nortan, Norten, Northcliff, Northrup, Norvin, Norwin, Norwyn, Norward, Norwell, Norwood, Nowles, North
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: habitational name from any of the many places so
called, from Old English norð ‘north’ + tūn
‘enclosure’, ‘settlement’. In some cases, it is a variant of
- Irish: altered form of Naughton,
assimilated to the English name.
- Jewish (American): adoption of the English name in place of some like-sounding Ashkenazic
- Nicholas Norton (1610–90) came from Broadway, Somerset, England,
to Weymouth, MA, in 1635–37. In about 1657 he moved to Edgartown on
Martha’s Vineyard. He had ten children and many prominent descendants.
Comments for Norton