First name origins & meanings:
- Old Norse: Talisman; ancestor
- Scandinavian: Royal ancestor
- Old English: Holly
First name variations: Olav, Olof, Olen, Olie, Olaf, Illee, Olan, Olney, Olinda
Last name origins & meanings:
- French and Dutch: from a pet form of a Germanic compound
personal name with the first element odal. Compare Ohl.
- Jewish (from Ukraine): from Ukrainian
olin ‘stag’. This name is either ornamental or represents a
calque of Yiddish personal name Hirsch.
- Swedish: variant spelling of Ohlin.
Comments for Olin