First name origins & meanings:
- Old English: Inspired; divine
- Arabic: Tender youth
First name variations: Osborn, Osborne, Osmar, Osmond, Osmund, Osted, Ostric, Osmen, Ossie, Osbert, Osmen, Osmin
Last name origins & meanings:
- Turkish: from the Turkish personal name Osman, Turkish
form of Arabic ‛Uthmān. This was the name of the third of
the ‘rightly guided’ khalifs (ruled 644–656), one of the ten
Companions of the Prophet Muhammad, to whom he gave the good news of
entering into paradise.
- English: variant of
- Dutch: from a Germanic personal name composed of
the elements ans ‘god’ + man ‘man’.
- Dutch: occupational name for an ox driver, from os ‘ox’, ‘bullock’ +
- German (Osmann): variant of
Ossmann (see Ossman).
- Jewish (eastern
Ashkenazic): of uncertain origin; perhaps a variant of Oshman
Comments for Osman