First name origins & meanings:
- English: The city
- French: Place name: Paris, France
- Italian: Lover
- Greek: A character in mythology
First name variations: Parisa, Parris, Parrish, Paras, Pares, Parys
Last name origins & meanings:
- French, English, and German: from the medieval personal name
Paris, which is actually an Old French variant of
Patrice (see Patrick), but which became associated with
the name of the Trojan prince Paris in Homer’s Iliad.
- French, English, and German: habitational name from the French
city of Paris or a nickname denoting someone who had Parisian
connections, for example through trade.
(París): from a reduced form of the personal name
Aparici, which was given to children born on the Feast of the
Epiphany, 6th January (see Aparicio).
(Páris): from the personal name Páris or
- The first bearer of the surname Paris documented in North America
was in fact from Paris; he is recorded in 1668 in Quebec City.
Another, from the Gascon region of France, was at Chambly, Quebec, in 1671,
with the secondary surname <xref>Champagne</xref>. Others came from
Famous people who gave their babies this name:
This name appears in the following lists:
Comments for Paris