First name origin & meaning:
French: Dweller in the field
First name variations: Grainger, Grange, Graynger, Rainger
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: occupational name for a gamekeeper or warden, from Middle English ranger, an agent derivative of range(n) ‘to arrange or dispose’.
- German: variant of Rang 2, 3.
- German: habitational name for someone from any of the places named Rangen, in Alsace, Bavaria, and Hesse.
- French: from a Germanic personal name formed with rang, rank ‘curved’, ‘bent’; ‘slender’.
- A person called Ranger from La Rochelle, France, is documented in Quebec City in 1684 with the secondary surname <xref>Laviolette</xref>.
Comments for Granger