First name origins & meanings:
- Hebrew: Strong, powerful
- Latin: Place name: Rome, Italy; from Rome
- Italian: Pilgrim to Rome; romantic lover
- Shakespearean: From Romeo and Juliet
First name variations: Romy, Roma, Romula, Romulos, Romulus, Rome, Romain, Romeo
Last name origins & meanings:
- Catalan, French, English, German (also Romann), Polish, Hungarian (Román), Romanian, Ukrainian, and Belorussian: from the Latin personal name Romanus, which originally meant ‘Roman’. This name was borne by several saints, including a 7th-century bishop of Rouen.
- English, French, and Catalan: regional or ethnic name for someone from Rome or from Italy in general, or a nickname for someone who had some connection with Rome, as for example having been there on a pilgrimage. Compare Romero.
Famous people with this first name:
Famous people who gave their babies this name:
Francis Ford Coppola,
Comments for Romana