First name origin & meaning:
Old English: A grove
Last name origins & meanings:
- English: topographic name for someone who lived by a copse or
thicket, Middle English s(c)hage, s(c)hawe (Old English
sceaga), or a habitational name from any of the numerous minor
places named with this word. The English surname was also established
in Ireland in the 17th century.
- Scottish and Irish: adopted
as an English form of any of various Gaelic surnames derived from the
personal name Sitheach ‘wolf’.
- Americanized form of some
like-sounding Ashkenazic Jewish surname.
- Chinese: variant of Shao.
- Early American merchants and revolutionary patriots were Nathaniel Shaw (b. 1735 in New London, CT) and Samuel Shaw (b. 1754 in Boston).
This name appears in the following lists:
Comments for Shaw