First name origins & meanings:
- German: Stream
- Czechoslovakian: Tree
- Greek: Bed
Last name origins & meanings:
- Swedish (Ström) and Danish (Strøm): from
ström ‘current’, probably an arbitrarily adopted ornamental
name but possibly a topographic name for someone who lived by a river.
- Norwegian: habitational name from any of numerous farmsteads
so named from Old Norse straumr ‘current’, ‘stream’.
- German: variant of Strahm.
- Dutch: from Middle
Dutch stroom, of uncertain meaning.
- Polish: topographic name for someone who lived on a steep slope, from
strom ‘slope’ or stromy ‘precipitous’.
- Czech: topographic name or nickname from strom ‘tree’.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic): topographic or ornamental name, from German
Strom ‘stream’, ‘river’.
Comments for Strom